Sunday, February 20, 2011

This damn disease!

What a night! Joan was unable to sleep and found it impossible to get comfortable. We were up about six times for toileting or just sitting up.

The Silver Chain nurse who visited this morning changed the brew that went into the pump and gave Joan an injection of Oxycodone. In the U.S. Oxycodone is know as 'Hillbilly Heroin' and many people are addicted to it as their drug of choice, the effects being longer-lasting than heroin and much cheaper, because it can be had by doctor-shopping. Addiction is not a consideration with Joan.

Sophie, the ex-student of mine who is working in Queensland, must have phoned her mother in Willetton and she rang me to ask if she could bring some freshly baked scones around. I must have sounded ungrateful as I declined the kind offer. The Silver Chain nurse was here and we were quite busy and somewhat stressed.

Joan has become the ‘Biggest Gainer’ by putting on an instant 8 kilograms due to fluid retention. There is no instant fix for this and I think it can only get worse.

She is getting weaker by the hour and to get her up from a chair I have to let her put her arms around my neck and we both stand up. There have been a few close calls and I am careful to have something behind her in case we both fall.

I want to go in a car crash.

My cousin Val visited this morning and Martin and Helen are visiting this afternoon.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lockie, You didn't sound ungrateful at all. Mum totally understood what was happening. She just wanted you to know that you are all in our hearts and prayers. We wish there was something we could do, besides pray for a miracle...

All our love,

Sophie and Isobel (mum)

Anonymous said...

kev and joan' What a horrible time you are both having. Mat said if you need help with lifting joan off the floor or whatever he can ride his bike over it wouldn't take long. or if you need help with anything else' just ring. I haven't phoned because this is family time' but Matt and I are here if we can help in any way.Are you playing soft music for Joan ? I know what it is like having to watch some one you have spent your life with ' your soul mate' ill and in pain. You just wish it was you and not the one you love so much, margs

Bernie said...

Thinking of you both, God Bless, xo

Dijanne Cevaal said...

Yes you are in my thoughts too- and i send you both many hugs