Thursday, May 12, 2011

Modesty

Every day that I find more of Joan’s personal stuff I am amazed at how modest she was.

One envelope had programs for 16 plays which she acted in from high school to university and beyond. Our walls do not have Joan’s degrees framed and on display. Other documents show that she was editor of her primary school newsletter and the front of house for university productions. She was a Prefect at Geraldton Senior High School; etc etc.
Joan, probably at Bridgetown Repertory Society performance circa 1964

A couple of our friends would wax lyrical about Dylan Thomas and his classic ‘Under Milk Wood’. Joan never mentioned that she acted in Under Milk Wood in the 1962 Festival of Perth. I would have milked it to the max had I been in her shoes.

Here is a photo of Joan when I first met her at Bridgetown High School where we both taught. I cannot believe that she selected me to be her lifetime mate; and now I am alone.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kev What a beautiful photo of joan. I knew that she was quite brilliant at school and I knew that she had done quite a lot of acting but didn,t know she had acted in Under milkwood. She had many talents but didn't talk about them. As you say she was very modest, I think you were both very lucky to have found each other. Like your dad, kev' you are quiet about all the good deeds you do, marg

Jenny said...

Joan and I were in quite a few plays together at Uni. and Under Milk Wood was one of them. Those were very good days. She was a wonderful friend and must have been a wonderful wife too. Our lives really were richer from having her in them. I love the things you are finding,

Bernie said...

You and Joan were blessed to have each other. Joan was a very special person and so good at so many things. What a wonderful life she had Kev, and yes you were so fortunate to find each other and to have had all those wonderful years together. Memories though painful at times are a wonderful thing......:-)Hugs

Kev said...

Jen,
Joan valued your enduring friendship, most probably formed through university dramatics. I did notice your name in quite a few programmes. (spelling of the time)
*Dark Lady of the Sonnets..as Queen Elizabeth
*The Sport of my Mad Mother as Patty
*The Tenor as Manager's Wife
*Insect Play '61 as one of the ants

How ever did you all find the time for study?

Jenny said...

Study?? We had lots in common - Drama society (acting was not part of the curriculum in those days), French Club, Teachers' College and lots of classes. An extra curiosity you may not know, or remember, my eldest brother Bruce, was Joan's French teacher at Geraldton High School.