Wednesday, November 9, 2011

There's Wind in the Willows

Several people have suggested that I head out and buy the cruiser I mentioned in my last post.

My good friend Dennis emailed me...........

And Dennis (Badger) is correct. I read all the adverts for moorings around Fremantle and there were none within 12 miles which is far too distant for the sort of attention a moored boat needs. Another consideration is, any passengers need to board from a landing at suitable height which would be reasonably close to the mooring....all my friends are getting ancient and are not going to jump down or climb up into a boat.

When we went and looked at the boat, we didn’t even get on board, let alone take it for a run. I must be cautious here as I have had boats in the past that have sat on a mooring for months without being used. I do recall the maintenance on a wooden craft and the annual hard-stand, refit and paint at not inconsiderable cost and effort.

A great idea but at almost 72 years, I think I will sit the boat licence and hire a boat if I have an occasion to take a party on a run up the Swan River.

4 comments:

Jenny said...

Chicken:)

Anonymous said...

Every thing that can go wrong on a second hand boat will go wrong. It's what the seller doesn't reveal is what you need to worry about. Another option would be to check out the notice boards at yacht clubs for 'volunteer crew' for the coming summer stink boat season. :)

Anonymous said...

Kev, Why don't you get a real boat with sails , so much quieter to run. easier to tow and you could take part in the evening races at South Perth on the river, With shallow hulls there are more moorings to be had on the river,As Had did , you could let it sit on the mooring and have breakfasts or drinks on it and watch the world go by, Marg

Bernie said...

I'm sure you are making the right decision Kev, renting one when you feel like being out on the water will be lovely.....:-)Hugs