Sunday, March 11, 2012

A distant friend

My Cyber-friend Carole in London has been moved into a hospice. Her son has written of the move on his mother's blog, which can be found here. She has had a rapid deterioration in her situation over a relatively short time and it is most likely that she will pass away very soon. I sincerely hope that her passing will be peaceful. I know that thousands of people die every day around the world, but Carole, through her kind words and thoughts for my Joan in her fight with the BigC has become a close friend.

This morning when I opened my email program I found a message purporting to be from The Commonwealth Bank NetBank. It informed me that a successful money transfer had been made for the amount of $1,580.00 to someone I did not know. I figured it was a scam and didn't click on the link provided, instead rang NetBank and they informed me that it was indeed a scam and by lunchtime EST, there had been approximately 500 calls to netbank about this email message. I am unsure what would have happened had I clicked on the link, but it probably would have been an expensive move.

Here is a screen shot of the email message.

2 comments:

Bernie said...

I feel horrible for Carole and her family, I can't imagine what they are actually doing with all the dollars raised for cancer. Billions of dollars and like you are saying thousands are dying every day.
Sorry you didn't receive all that money but there are so many of these scams going around, I am thinking you may have got a virus if you had.....big hugs:-)

Anonymous said...

kev, I hope that Carole passes away peacefully . My love to the family. As regards to the bank scam, I received the same one and many different ones, but that one nearly got me in, Marg