Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Wedding

I received an email from my nephew who lives in the U.S. He is to wed an American gal in July of this year. His in-laws to-be are a musical family and some of them will be doing the music for the reception. Bruce, my nephew, tells me that they already know a few Australian pieces, but we here have never heard of them. "Orotaba Waltz" from Charlie Batchelor, Bingara, NSW "The Walk Around" from Stacey Treacy, Limerick, NSW, "Jack's Waltz" from Sally Sloane of Lithgow, "Sofala Cuckoo" from Joe Yates, Sofala near Bathurst, NSW.???
Bruce has asked me to find some recognisable Aussie tunes that they can practise before the wedding. There are the oldies of course....Waltzing Matilda, Pub With No Beer, The Wild Colonial Boy and On The Road To Gundagai. And then some lovely songs by John Williamson; 'I Was Just 19', 'Cootamundra Wattle' and 'Bound For South Australia'. I don't think the band will try to sing the songs, merely play the melody. I will consult with Bruce to see if my selection is suitable.
This coming Monday is the start of the 2007 school year. Our daughter, Helen, has been posted to a very nice Primary School in the suburb of Leeming for her second year of teaching. I also will be heading off to school on Monday. I am assisting the IT teacher at a special needs school set up a few computers donated by the local daily newspaper The West Australian. The newspaper makes sure that no data is left on the Hard Drives and so they need to have the operating system loaded on board and all their specific educational software.
We have had two days of over 40c, but there may be a thunder storm tonight.

No comments: