Saturday, June 11, 2011

This old love

Our son Martin rang yesterday evening to say that his hot water system had ‘kacked itself’. As the landlord I could see some big problems ahead. His hot water system is in a vertical space shared by units on three floors. I drove down with the keys to the HWS cupboard. Fortunately when we opened the cupboard it was obvious that the upper floor unit’s HWS was the problem. Saved some money and problems there. The upstairs tenant was not home so Martin left a note on his front door. He is a bus driver and gets home around 6pm.

I am having the odd teary episode over the loss of my wife Joan. I’m not depressed, but when I am reminded of some event in our 46 years together it gets to me. On Thursday, I went next door to give our neighbour Judy one of Joan’s pieces of fabric art. I didn’t know it was going to end up in a sad situation, but it did. Driving down to Martin’s unit I was playing a CD of the Australian singer Lior. The first song has a beautiful chorus...

we’ll grow old together
we’ll grow old together
and this love will never
and this old love will never die

Listen to it here.

3 comments:

Bernie said...

I can understand how this song would bring memories of Joan and I also understand how something like taking pieces of fabric to your neighbour would bring a tear to your eye Kevin. Grief comes at us like a huge wave and we never know when it will hit. How you feel is normal, it is good to surround yourself with your family and friends, you need that connection. Wishing you the best....:-)Hugs

Anonymous said...

Oh Kev, I know what you mean, there are lots of songs i can't listen to , or I start sobbing, Had and I travelled around in our VW van singing Neil Young and Dillon songs.I think you are coping very well considering that Joan only passed away a few months ago, It will be 12 months in July since Had left me and i feel like throwing myself off a cliff sometimes but of course I would never do that to my family,night times are the worst and early in the morning when I turn to speak to Had and I realize he,s gone and I will never see him again, but life goes on and we have to be strong for our children,s sake,There will come a time when The stars will share their brilliance and the Moon will shine again but it takes time and we are all here for you kev. marg

Anonymous said...

Kev, at least Joan died at home surrounded by those who loved her so much. You got to say good bye.
Our lives are shaped as much by those who leave us
as they are by those who stay
Loss is our legacy
Insight is our gift
memory is our guide.
Hope delman,
does that help a bit, thought not.
Margdynedec