Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Dementia

Frank Drysdale has died. Frank (Rev. Frank Drysdale) taught Joan at Geraldton Senior High in the 1950s. When we married in 1966, Joan had asked Frank to marry us and he was happy to do so.
We caught up with Frank at a few Geraldton SHS reunions over the years and at the last two we were made aware of his progessive dementia. To us he seemed perfectly OK, but his wife and daughter told us of his worsening condition.

Amazingly in the midst of his dementia and later Altzheimers disease, he invented an educational card game, Numero.

A good man!

Last night brother Graham and I collected our sister from Perth airport on her trip from Esperance to Colorado USA. She had about 5 hours to get her next flight to Sydney, so we had a nice Chinese meal and visited Helen and James before taking her back to the domestic airport.

I have learned quite a few things on the domestic front since my Joan died. One I discovered when ironing handkerchiefs: there are two sides to a hanky and usually one is the bright side which when ironed should end up exposed to onlookers when used in public. Another interesting thing I discovered is that bedsheets have an automatic notification of washing date. New sheets have a taught, pleasant feel to them. The autonote function lets me know that washing is needed when the sheets become entangled and clingy...is it not so?

Today I will visit our friend John who is in care. His dementia will probably not let him recognise me, but I am going specifically to cut his hair. Hope he does remember me.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Kev, John would know it was you , You are such a good person and do such good deeds that sometimes I can't believe that it's you. What do you mean about ironing hankies on both sides who in their right mind irons anything? I enjoyed watching "All that Jazz" Shed a few tears especially at the end "Bye Bye Life ,Bye Bye Happiness, I think he,s gonna die... That was such a great movie One of the best, 10 out of 10 Marg