Tuesday, July 12, 2011

VoIP and Skype

I have finished the rooftop repairs to our house and it would look pretty good to a blind man galloping past on a horse. That's not quite true...it looks good and I am pleased with it.

The garage door closer was installed and I was well satisfied with this tradesman’s work and price. He was very professional and did not leave a single piece of anything behind as is the norm with most ‘tradies’. This door closer should see me out.

I cancelled the VoIP phone service with my ISP as the quality of the reception, either at my end or for the recipient of any call was usually very poor. I was paying $20 per month in the hope that I could cancel my landline and get free calls in Aus and Internationally. Skype gives me good quality phone calls free to other Skype users and to most international phones at a cheap rate. Skype is also VoIP and I cannot understand why I cannot get the same quality through my ISP. If you would like to wade through some technical info about VoIP it can be found here. Heavy stuff!

When I was buying materials at Bunnings Hardware for my roof repair job I became aware of a little bit of discrimination, shall I call it, on my behalf. I passed a couple; a professional painter and a young sales lady in the paint department. She was offering the man advice on his selection of paint. At the time I thought that I would have sought out a male to give me such advice, but later thought how stupid that was as the male sales people were no older than she is and they would have received the same training. I have been trying to think of some sort of reverse discrimination....in what situation would I seek out a female instead of a male for advice? Help me here.

3 comments:

Jenny said...

Knitting? But there some very good males knitters! Damn I can't think of anything. What happened to gender specific jobs :)

Anonymous said...

Kev, What about wet nurses, Women who were employed to suckle other women,s babies ? A man couldn't do that, What about reading maps { Oh no women can't read maps, I can think of afew things but I think I will leave well alone,,,Women certainly make the best mothers,,,,Marg

Anonymous said...

Kev, I've just reread the question. and you are correct, women can do just about any job you can think of, Of course men can't give birth yet ...We have come a long way from being hunters and gatherers and is this a good thing? I might add that I was never that good at knitting. Margu