Sunday, July 6, 2014

Kernel Panics

For a couple of years now I have had two Apple laptops which present with the dreaded Kernel Panic.    Kernel Panics show a black rectangle with instructions for restarting.


There are a few reasons for Kernel Panics and most of them would be a problem with the main board.  I have never replaced a main board but have tried all sorts of key stroke startups which have given temporary results.    One of the laptops is a MacBook Pro and I took a punt and bought a new hard drive and inserted it.   It worked well for a couple of hours but KP came  back again, so I pulled the new hard drive out and put the MB Pro in a spare parts cupboard.

The other laptop was telling me that only one RAM slot was working, so I removed the RAM (memory sticks) and tried one at a time in the good slot.  Voila; success.  That machine has been running well for a couple of weeks now so it is ready to go to a good home.

No comments: