Sunday, May 2, 2010

Castaways Sculpture Awards

Yesterday we drove down to Rockingham to take a look at the annual 'Castaways' Sculpture Awards on the beach.

I am not big on art, but sculpture I find interesting. Here are a few of my favourites out of the 48 entries. I voted for the simplest exhibit which had the most impact on me.

'Once a King' is merely a stack of Jarrah firewood. The Jarrah tree is a mighty Western Australian hardwood which has, since the white settlement of Australia, supplied excellent timber for houses, bridges, wharves, small ships and boats and lately very expensive furniture. The Jarrah needs a little protection from those who would knock them down for railway sleepers.













Once a King



















Light Shadow













Extinctus















Part of 'The Sea's Sculpture'

Extinctus is made of old motor tyres and yes, the scales on the fish are sunglass lenses.

Joan's blog...here, has more pics.

No comments: