Saturday, July 14, 2012

Astro-nomical


Yesterday evening I was invited around to Helen and James' house for a BBQ, ostensibly to meet their house guests, Scotty and Krissie and Scotty's father Dennis. Scotty and Krissie have moved to Western Australia from Queensland and are staying with Helen and James until they find the right house to buy. Krissie already has a job to start on Monday and Scotty is a go-getter and should get employment very soon. The evening was cold, so the barbecue was moved into James' workshop and as well as cooking some huge steaks, warmed the workshop with a nice roast beef smell.

They brought their two dogs with them. The larger one, named Astro, is like a small horse. Picture of Astro with me in the workshop. He is sitting down!

During the week I received a letter from the W.A. Water Corporation advising me that I was selected to have a plumber visit to replace up to two shower heads for water saving ones, fix all the dripping taps and toilets in and around the house and supply aerators to taps, all for free. At first I was very impressed and pleased by my windfall, but since then I have wondered why/how I was selected. Talking to friends I find that none of them have received a letter with any offers. I am quite capable of maintenance on taps and toilets and I already have one waterwise shower head. Also I am not short of cash, so on Monday I will ring the Water Corp and suggest that they seek out a more needy person to help.

Another piece of mail was from the U.S. advising us that we had hired a car in California between January 1, 2007 and November 14, 2007 and a class action was in progress against some 7 car hire firms. If the card is to be believed it looks as though we would be in for a major award of $2 per day over the hire period of 15 days. Yaaaay!! I think I'll buy a Boeing 747. Can't be bothered.
                         Click to enlarge should you wish to read the details

2 comments:

Bernie said...

Sounds like you have been keeping busy. Love the dog, but it is massive. We are having a heat wave this week in fact it has just begun to storm (thunder/lightening and much needed rain) You look well in the picture Kev, Joan would be pleased to see you looking so good. Helen and James are a godsend. Take care my friend, big hugs...:-)

Law Firms Adelaide said...

Nice post, the dog is cute.