Monday, January 24, 2011

Old Timers' Disease

This morning I was involved in a comedy of errors which was not at all funny.

Joan was very tired and went to bed to rest. I drove to a shopping centre about five kilometres away and did a ‘small shop’. When I returned to the car I opened the boot and loaded everything in and closed it. Unfortunately I also shut in my iPhone, the car keys and my wallet. Shoot!

If you have ever done something like this you will remember the solution....walk rapidly in any direction with no definite purpose; change direction several times and return to the vehicle.

I went into a computer store I am familiar with and the owner offered his phone. I rang home but.....I had previously told Joan that she should ignore the phone ringing as it would go to message and she doesn’t need to run to the phone and perhaps fall. I left a message asking her to get the spare set of keys from the safe and drive down to where I was. After some time I returned to the Good Samaritan and made a few more calls. I then had the idea to call a cab to get home, but had second thoughts about that as I didn’t have a key to get into the house and if Joan had already left on the rescue mission I would have to taxi back, still with no cash to pay the taxi. Another plan was to ring the RAC (Royal Automobile Club) to get a service man to open the car.

Just as I was about to return to my GS (Good Samaritan), Joan turned up.....whew! She just smiled.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kev, what a exciting life you lead. glad to know that Joan was able to pick you up. I saw a show on T.V months ago, about a guy who was always loosing his key, so he had a microchip put into his hand, and used it to swipe over any lock in his house, also to open his car, maybe this sounds like an idea for you! Wednesday, John and Rita are coming over for lunch, And helen, Hazel, and Joy. You and Joan are more than welcome to join if your free. Love Marg.

Jenny said...

It is always nice to be needed :) and to feel glad that it is not always you who does foolish things. Need I say that I have had to have a spare key delivered to me ...... more than once! And I was not yet an an old-timer. Now that I am one, I am much more careful.
Glad to see that Joan is feeling good to drive!