Thursday, March 10, 2011

eulogy for Joan

Joan and I met at, and taught together, at Bridgetown High School after I returned from Papua New Guinea, and we married in 1966 transferring to Kwinana High School before taking up posts back in Papua New Guinea in 1970. Helen was born just six weeks before Joan flew to PNG to be with me. Martin was born in Wewak Hospital in 1972. I was manager of two Vocational Centres one in the Sepik District for four years and another two years in the Northern District. Joan taught at Maprik High School and at Popondetta Vocational School.

The Papua New Guinea years were most rewarding and full of adventure. We returned to W.A. in late 1975 and both took up teaching in local high schools. Joan did more study to complete a degree in Home Economics and eventually became head of department at several high schools. In all she completed three university degrees, the final degree being a Masters degree in Education.

For over 25 years she has been involved in fabric and textile arts groups and made many friends. Her sewing room is the typical sewing den...piled high with fabrics and ongoing projects.

She fought bravely for over a year...each different round of chemotherapy failing to improve her condition. Even, the SIRT treatment of injected radiated spheres did no good. The chemotherapy robbed her of one of her loves, that of cooking and creating new dishes. She was unable to eat for most of her treatment. Losing over 30 kilograms, she once quipped...’I’m the biggest loser!’

An avid reader, Joan has books in every room. Two are left with bookmarks, last read in hospital.

Many will miss her dearly...mostly her family.

5 comments:

Bernie said...

It appears as though Joan lived a full life in service to raising her children Helen and Martin, a devoted wife and home maker as well as to teaching others.
What a beautiful legacy - a full life well lived.....:-)Hugs

Anonymous said...

Joan led a very busy ,full life and how lucky were you to be able to share that life. she fought to stay with you and the family but the cancer won in the end.you must feel as if you've had your torn from your body. I know that is how I feel, but life goes on and I know that Had and Joan would expect us to be just as strong as they were , It will take time , 'Though lovers be lost love shall not'And death shall have no dominion" ..ok den i need to cut down on my drinking,,,,marg,

viq maggio said...

You and Joan were so lucky to have found each other. You will find each other again, not in the same way, but in small pieces. We are all just energy, just in different forms, I am sure that you will both come together again in some way. I know that Robert is with me in some of the strangest places and times! It took me a while to let that sink in and become part of me, but the more I let it, the more I have felt that my friends wh have left their phsical bodies are still around. It is good to feel them when I least expect it. I hope that comes to you with Joan- I know it will, after all you are, like your brother, a Lock!!

MM said...

Kevin: Ray and I were saddened when Carol and Alan notified us of Joan's death. I had been keeping up on things via your blog. You are aa great writer and I enjoy reading your posts. Our condolances and prayers are with you. Ray and Margaret Cason, cousins from Bountiful, Utah, USA

richard said...

KEV: just as well we have happy memories of PNG.
The joint is an absolute shambles these days --- if not a failed state, about one poofteenth from it!!
Got to Keithy Jackson's PNG Attitude web and blogsite and see how the writers see it.

Not just we former Aussie Territorians, but present day PNG folks themselves. Many are quite voluble and many are regular posters on the site.