Wednesday, March 9, 2011

The last will and testament

The Public Trustees have asked for a long list of ‘Administration Requirements’ to start processing Joan’s will. It is just as well that we gave our wills to the Public Trustee just a few weeks ago. Previously our daughter was the executor and I now see it would have been a very onerous task for her to process Joan's will.

Towards the end, I worried about the lack of knowledge I had about our and Joan’s financial affairs. I hesitated to ask her about her personal share portfolio because I felt it would signal her imminent demise. As it happened I had neither the time nor courage to ask her for details.

Now I am in a bit of a mess sorting through the dozens of files in the filing cabinet trying to find the information demanded. I will get through it and there is no deadline I have to meet.

I am going to be an evangelist telling everyone I know that couples should share knowledge about their financial affairs. I know a few survivors who have had big problems sorting out their partner's estate.

Before Joan left us she had me transfer a not-unsubstantial amount to our daughter and son-in-law to assist in the purchase of a home. That money came from her superannuation fund and no doubt we will pay capital gains tax on the sale of the shares.

Helen already owns her unit and once sold, they will be in a good financial position. The house they have purchased is walking distance from our house and it will be easy for me to visit them by walking or bicycle. They will take possession on April 14th. There are already a few jobs on Dad’s list for the new house.

Our Aladdin's Cave of information. Note the secure password bank on the side where no villain would think of looking.
I give thanks to the literally hundreds of friends who sent cards, personal messages and email messages of condolence to us, as well as the 100 plus people who attended Joan's funeral and wake afterwards. It has given us much comfort.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

kev i sympathize with you, I phoned telstra after Had passed away. sent them a copy of the death cert. I answered questions for 20 min. She said the would close had.s account and put a new account in my name, suddenly the bill is to the estate of the late Had. I rang them 30 mins. later it still can.t be changed, i have to see them.every Gov. dept/ makes a pig's ear of every document,Three months to sort out com super. every dept has to see a copy of the death cert. It was lovely to see so many people at Joan's funeral, You have a loving family kev and many friends that love you. Well' we don"t love you but your ok,,,,,marg. hope den's walking stick develops dry rot...... Marg

Bernie said...

I understand what you are saying as I was so thankful my husband had gone over everything with me and even things I had forgotten he had placed in a file. These are painful times but it is good you are keeping busy.
So pleased to know your daughter and son in law will be living close by, it will be nice to feel needed as you help them settle......:-) Hugs