Saturday, March 19, 2011

Mail from the past




In my search for relevant documents for the Public Trustee, I found a bundle of letters Joan wrote to her father during our time in Papua New Guinea in the 1970s.

The letters reminded me of the difficulties and rewards of teaching and living in PNG at the time. Many of the things, I had almost forgotten about us and our children.

I hope Martin and Helen will take the time to read them as Joan wrote in detail about their early childhood development.

Yesterday I received a card from the Cancer Council of W.A.

Rick is our niece's fiance in the U.S.. That his family would make such a memorial donation to the Cancer Council is incredibly moving. We have met Rick on a couple of occasions and Rick and Katherine were able to attend Helen and James’ wedding.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

how kind of rick and Kathrine to make such a donation. Lovely photo of Joan, and how wonderful to find all Joan's letters to her dad. Make acopy of them , she was a good writer and you could write a book based on those letters about your life together in New guinea. I couldn't bring up the photo of helen.s unit hope she sells it soon. It will be great for Helen and James to be in walking distance from you, I.m sure Helen will have plenty of jobs for you and you will enjoy helping her because that is what you aregood at. marg

Bernie said...

What a lovely picture of Joan and so nice for you to have those letters.
I managed to see Helen's home, it is lovely but I think homes are more expensive in Australia than Canada.
Hope you and your children are doing well....:-)Hugs

Anonymous said...

Lovely photo of Joan.