Sunday, August 21, 2011

Mike Treasure

Yesterday; Saturday, James and Helen helped me do some cleaning and repairs at the unit I own which our son Martin lived in for a few years. Helen busied herself cleaning out the fridge and it was soon evident that the door seals were damaged and most of the storage plastic-ware was cracked or broken. A quick decision saw the fridge on the back of James’ pickup and on its way along with the stove to the local landfill recycling centre. The heavily stained carpet in the main room proved to be salvageable after a few test scrubs with heavy duty spotter. I will hire a ‘Britex’ machine next week and give all the carpets a thorough clean. I decided to hire a painter to repaint doors and door frames.

Later in the day I decided to sell the unit rather than be the nasty landlord. I am guessing that I will lose around $30,000, but in the current economic climate, housing values are unlikely to get back to their previous levels in the time I have left. So I rang the young woman who was interested in renting the unit and told her that I was sorry, but I had decided to sell it. In no time a text message appeared on my phone saying that she would be very interested in buying it. Great news! There would be no selling agents’ fee and as her father lives in the unit above, she knows all the problems associated with this block of units. Once I have finished the refurbishment, she will take a look and haggle with the price I have indicated I would like.

My brother-in-law Mike is in hospital and he is in the final stages of his time here. Helen and I drove to the hospital to pay our respects to Mike. His daughter and son-in-law to be have travelled from the U.S. to be there with him. If he has not passed away over night he will soon leave us.

Mike had left instructions that his body be given to the medical school at the University of Western Australia to do research into Parkinson’s Disease.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kev, So sorry to hear about Mick. Sad time for the family, but he certainly put up a good fight and soon he wont be in pain any longer, it,s good that his daughter and son will be there, Sad that he won't get to see his daughter get married, Such is life,,I'm glad that Helen and James are helping you with Martin's unit. I feel very sorry for Dorothy, she has looked after Mick for so long and to lose Mick so soon after Joan's death must be so hard for her, Marg

Bernie said...

Sorry about your brother in law. He will soon be at peace, it is the one's left behind that feel the loss so badly.
Happy that all is working out for Martin and it will be wonderful to be able to sell his unit so quickly especially in tooday's economy. It is the same here in Canada. You are blessed to have such a wonderful daughter and son in law. Just having them close by must bring you a lot of comfort. Hello to yours and Joan's friend Marg from me......:-)Hugs