Thursday, April 5, 2012

Bali

This Sunday morning we are flying into Bali airport at Denpassar. Bali is a very busy holiday destination and the Indonesian government will be trying to keep it that way because just the airport arrival and departure taxes @$US25 in and out, raise about $A275M a year. I haven't been able to determine how much the rest of the tourism industry pulls in, but it is big business.

I have started packing and whilst daughter Helen is in charge of my documents etc I have had to refer to one of Joan's previous packing lists as a reminder as to what I should pack. The list shown was for a trip we did to Singapore years ago, so I won't be packing silk shirts etc for casual Bali.

Because two thirds of this Lock family are flying on the one plane, I have left a detailed letter with my brother to take over 'if anything happens'...as my mother would say. Our son Martin in Melbourne would have a big job sorting out my estate, but would emerge out the other end a wealthy man. I don't want him to be wealthy just yet.

There is a white knuckle fliers' saying....'If it aint Boeing, I aint going'. I too would rather fly with the old team. The new boys on the block, Airbus, have built the largest ever passenger aircraft, but it has emerged that lots of cracks have been found in the important bits...the wings.

2 comments:

Bernie said...

What a wonderful wife you had and you can still follow that list today, no wonder you miss her so very much.
Wishing you a wonderful holiday and Happy Easter to you and your family....:-)Hugs

Anonymous said...

A Google search for Dickie Borman took me to your site. After reading about Dickie, I followed and enjoyed your ramblings: very readable. My dear wife died of cancer in 2010. I too have written crits on student teachers, and worked in a university (Deakin). Much of what you wrote resonated; for example I remebere the old East Fremantle Tech and the wooden Jack planes. Thank you for your musings.