Saturday, July 17, 2010

Farewell Had

Joan and I have just returned from Hollywood Private Hospital to see Haddon for probably the last time. He has been getting worse over the last few days and morphine has wiped him out. He is unconscious and the doctor has given him at most two days. He looked peaceful and ready to leave us all.

I have been at other death beds before....my brother's; my father's and mother's. Mother fell down with a massive stroke, but her heart was still beating when we rushed to her house after being called by my sister who was looking after her. She died as we tried to revive her, which was probably fortuitous because there would have been major brain damage.

Margaret, Haddons wife, will have much to contend with .....the funeral; the estate settlement as well as the emotional strain of losing a lifetime partner. Their children are strong people and will give her all the help she needs.

She can also rely on us for support.

No comments: