Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Prostate Cancer

This morning I rang our daughter to suggest that we get the RAC to immobilise her car immobiliser so that I could start it. Having lost the car key and the immobiliser button previously I was getting very frazzled as to how to fix my old timers' bungles like losing her car key. She rang the RAC and they were on their way to do the job when I found the key and immobiliser in the grass as I brought our wheelybin in from the front verge. I rang Helen to get her to cancel the RAC call out. It had been out in the heavy rain and didn't want to start the engine, so I dismantled it and dried it out with a hair drier and it is now a 'goer'. Already with a head of grey hair I now have plenty of white hair after that little episode.

I searched every square foot of our house, workshop and storage shed as well as four cars. Never thought that I would have dropped the key in the grass outside the house.

Our friend Haddon is, it seems, near the end. He is in a private hospital, Hollywood Hospital, and has reached the stage where the doctor in charge has requested a family meeting tomorrow morning. I fear that they are going to be given a frank assessment of the situation and alternatives which may be unpalatable to loved ones. I will visit him with another friend tomorrow, possibly as a farewell visit. He has had seven hard years of treatment for advanced prostate cancer.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Sorry to read that Haddon is near the end. You have been a good friend to him. Lucky you didn't have to re-key the car. For a Toyota like our Yaris I understand the cost is about $4,000 because they replace the entire locking system. Paul.