Wednesday, August 11, 2010

Vehicle repairs

Helen’s car is back on the road and running well. The repairer also runs a wrecking yard and the replacement engine was from a car in his yard. All up it cost $1250....$500 for the engine and $750 for fitting including all the extras that go with an exchange. I was impressed and went back yesterday to buy an electric window winder for my Mazda 929. The man showed me where it goes in the door but refused to fit it himself. ‘Too difficult’ he intoned with his Arabic accent. His business is a cash business and they seem to have mislaid the receipt book.

I spent the best part of a day removing the door panel, the old motor and the window glass and then fitting the new regulator. It fitted well and is just like a new one. There were a few curses muttered, but I am pleased all went in as it should.

Tomorrow we are starting the medical round again. Joan has a blood test in the morning and we see the Oncologist Friday morning. Joan is on a trial and we are wondering whether the trial restricts our options as far as treatment goes. There may be some other treatment available outside the trial...we can only hope. We recently saw a news item about ground breaking external beam radiotherapy being done in a hospital in Sydney. The treatment was for brain tumours, but I will ask the man whether it can be used for lung and liver tumours. I suspect he will give me the look and brush the question aside. If it can help we would travel to Sydney for treatment.

No comments: