Friday, September 24, 2010

The goodness of strangers, friends, neighbours and family.

Years ago in the last century..probably in the 1950s there was a singer named Donald Peers and one of his numbers was ‘Friends and Neighbours’.

It’s a shmaltzy number which appealed to the masses at the time. Your friends and neighbours were just ‘peachy’ and could be relied on to step in and help out in a crisis. I can’t remember him singing about family? Donald was a Brit and I suppose the masses just after WW2 lived in close contact with their neighbours and probably relied on them in times of need.

Don has long gone now but yesterday I was thinking about the goodness of strangers and family and friends and I was reminded of Donald’s song and the sentiments therein.

A couple of days ago when Joan fell, strangers immediately rushed to help. Our family, neighbours and friends are all poised to help if necessary. So there...Donald was right on the ball!

On YouTube there are a number of songs by Donald, but I have not been able to access ‘Friends and Neighbours’.

I was never a fan of his, but I do remember the song, so it had some sort of impact on me..over 60+ years ago.

2 comments:

Bernie said...

Kevin, when my husband and son passed away but for the strength and kindness of friends and family I don't know if I would of made it, then came the Breast Canceer and again the support is hard to explain. I only know that as a result of their kindness I try to give back as best I can even if it is only a word of encouragement. You and Joan are so blessed to have each other. Thinking of you both, have a great weekend....Hugs

Kev said...

The song Friends and Neighbours was by Billy Cotton not Donald Peers.

Kev