Tuesday, April 26, 2011

Home Security

Easter Sunday lunch was a good family gathering; Helen, James, Mike and Dorothy (Joan’s sister and husband) my brother Graham and me. Our son Martin declined as he wasn’t feeling well.
Here is a pic of Graham and me. When we go out somewhere on the weekend there is always the comment from someone Graham knows, like....... ‘Oh is this your father?’ Hell, I’m only 9 years older than him!

Today caused me a bit of a headache and ear ache. I was up on a ladder doing some plastering work on a wall when I heard a beeping sound which I traced to the keyboard of the security system for the house. The interface told me the problem was an ‘Open Circuit’. What to do???
Before long the external siren started sounding..very loudly! We haven’t used the system for about six years and any codes to stop the noise were probably in Joan’s purse, lost about two months ago. Meantime Dave next door had been knocking on the door, thinking that I might have fallen, drove to Helen and James’ house and they arrived as I was again on the ladder, ears stuffed with cotton wool opening the alarm box to disconnect the siren.

Good to have good neighbors!

The beeping continued even though I had disconnected the siren from the backup battery. I couldn’t find the key to the control box inside the house and had to force the lock to disconnect the storage battery powering the whole thing. It seems that Dave has had a similar problem and a flat backup battery in the main control box is the fault. All is silent once again and I will do without home security.

What is next?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

kev at least you never get bored, Always something happening. If you are doing without a security system' its fortunate that you have that large savage guard dog.....Joy borrowed a handbag from me ' she returned it this afternoon ' she found her sunglasses from fridays outing ' but she has left her phone in the handbag. I've just found it but it is too late to ring her now. Marg Let's see if this gets sent. I still can't get mail ,.wa