Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Complexities of employment

My brother works as a storeman at a very busy packaging company: incoming, outgoing; dealing with orders and frequent shipping containers arriving with loads of Chinese products. He is 57 years of age and is the employee of all time. He is fit, never takes a sickie, works very hard and is honest beyond reproach. He is looking for a similar job with better conditions and has applied for a few jobs. Each time he rings, the employer asks his age. There is usually some doubt expressed that a bloke his age can do the job and he doesn't hear any more from them. I have always thought that the age thing didn't ring true, but I am starting to see that maybe I was wrong. There have certainly been quite a few Channel 9/10 programs suggesting so. I do not understand the problem with employing older people. Many young men use marijuana, or drink and become unreliable employees. I have a friend in the mining business who says that drug and alcohol testing disqualifies many young fellows. Probably the only way to overcome this problem is for my bro to front up to the employer and let them see him face to face.

Our son had a related incident this week. He failed to turn up to work on Friday and Monday and was given the boot. Fortunately, after pleading with his boss over the phone, he was given a second chance, which will, I hope, make our lad a better employee. He is to 'sit down with the boss and discuss a few things'. Let's hope it works.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to work in the Job Network and despite anti-discrimination laws - discrimination is rife everywhere. We had an employer who wanted to hire a retired Italian painter and would not consider any other applicants. We would just have to say "sorry not successful" and leave it at that. I used to work in retailing many years ago and I was too old after 18. In hospitality you are not old enough until 18 then too old at 21. My brother in law once told me he would never hire a young(ish) woman in case she left to have children as it would inconvenience the business. Some employers don't want old people as they may want to retire soon, some like older people as they are mature and more reliable. Due to employers being human (mostly) they will make decisions based on personal preferences, ubringings, dis/likes and beliefs and will always discount some people despite them possibly being perfect for the job.