Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Computer Stuff and Nonsense

Kevin has been trying to configure an eMac for friends of ours who have just gone broadband with Bigpond. This involved a new ASDL modem which didn't want to talk to the eMac. Thinking the cable might be faulty, he bought a new one. Still no talkies.

Kevin then brought it home here in case the modem was faulty, but it worked fine with my Windoze laptop. Seemed like it had to be the Ethernet port, or some configuration detail. As I was going over to Nedlands to the Apple resellers, he asked me to talk to them about it. They suggested it could be either. If it was the port it could be costly because it is not a separate card. It would take only a few minutes to check out, but it couldn't be done for another three weeks because that was their backlog.

I came back and told Kevin. He spoke severely to the eMac, and obviously apprehensive about being disembowelled, it agreed to talk to the modem. Kevin is going to our friends' place tomorrow to finish the setting up.

And the reason I went there? I bought a new phone a couple of weeks ago. It has Bluetooth to transfer images and other files. I followed all the setup instructions and the phone recognises our iMac. The iMac recognises the phone. But, like the modem and the eMac, they won't talk to each other. The phone retailer couldn't help me - their whiz kid only knew about PCs. Can't say the Apple retailer was much help either - the fellow I spoke with didn't know anything about the brand of phone I have. But he did check that the model was compatible with the iMac and gave me a number to ring to be talked through the process. I will try that tomorrow.

No comments: