Sunday, February 4, 2007

Mandurah visit

Yesterday we drove down to Mandurah. Down because it is south of where we live. The trip had a two-fold purpose. We have friends who live there and I have a dear friend who is in a hostel for respite care for a few days. My friend has Parkinson's Disease and Lewy Body disease. Most people think that Parkinson's Disease is characterised by shaking hands and indeed that is the most recognisable form of the disease. My friend's version of the disease has him freeze and alternatively shuffle. My brother-in-law has two phases to his version...rigidity and rapid dancing and flailing movements. Medication has little obvious effect, although I know that without it, both would be frozen solid and in a state of panic.
My friend who is in respite, has frightening hallucinations, day and night. When I visited him yesterday, I asked him whether the 'monsters' were with him there. He said that he had checked all the cupboards and under the bed and hadn't seen anything as yet. Before he retired, he was an academic at a university with a PhD. In the early stages he realised that the hallucinations were just that, but now he believes that they are real. He does, however know that he is deteriorating. As I mentioned in a previous post, my brother-in-law is in line for an operation which has a very good chance of bringing some normality to his life. If the information I read on Lewy Body disease is accurate, there is not a lot of hope for my friend. I am saddened to see a good long-time friend in this condition and not be able to offer anything but friendship.
When he turned seventy recently I gave him my home-made gift voucher for lifetime hair cuts and computer support. I hope I will be able to do both for a long time yet.

No comments: