Saturday, July 12, 2008

Pingelly

We are pretty happy with where we live...a nice suburb, good neighbors and 10 minutes to Fremantle city. Our house is nice, with plenty of room and a large store room and workshop for me. So why has the idea of shifting suddenly popped up?

Pingelly is a country town in the wheatbelt of Western Australia about 90 minutes from Perth and Fremantle. I found an advert for a splendid residence there selling for an asking price of $550,000. See it here. It was built as a post office and has been made over into a wonderful house.

I was born in the country, but apart from nearly ten years in Papua New Guinea have lived mostly in the suburbs along the coast. I had to spend a year teaching at the small wheatbelt town of Goomalling and didn't like that at all. The locals were very critical of any teachers who left the town on weekends; even if they had family in the city. In the year I was there not one of the teachers received an invite to visit a farm or social event.

Writing this has almost cured me of moving to a country town. We will drive to Pingelly and do a bit of carpet crushing though.

No comments: