Wednesday, February 25, 2009

We are all doomed!

Bold headlines on the front page of the West Australian newspaper yesterday proclaim that Family power bills will rocket by $246 a year . Shock; horror! That works out to about $4.74 a week.....about half the price of a cheap bottle of bubbly of which we consume quite a few each week.

People need to live in a place where electricity is non existent or comes at a few hours a day. A couple of days without power and everyone would start to change their attitudes. Only in an outage does one realise what it would be like without a good power supply....same goes for good clean tap water delivered to our doors.

Actually I haven't heard anyone whinge about the proposed increases; it's just a newspaper shocko story.

I have been working like a Palestinian one-armed bricklayer over the last four days distributing computers to a wide variety of worthy causes. It has been good for me. I have enjoyed preparing machines to suit individual needs; giving a short run down on the operating system and meeting people from all walks of life. I have learned much about the inner workings of different models and managed to get 'dead' machines once again working.

I was initially offered another lot of later model Macs by an IT bloke working in a private company, but his boss is reluctant to hand them over because I am not a registered charity. The IT man has appealed to his boss on my behalf, but I haven't heard from them yet. I guess he thinks that I may be selling them on. W.A. Newspapers have offered me some more as well and I should get them in a fortnight.

No comments: