Sunday, January 12, 2014

Youth Club

I have readied six PCs for a local Police & Community Youth Centre.

.  These centres are aimed at giving youth a place to meet with suitable activities to occupy their time.  The computers will be used for job applications and general research.
The computers come from the West Australian, this city’s only daily newspaper.  For a number of years I have sourced many good Macs there, refurbished them and passed them on to needy people.  This is the first time I have received PCs and I asked for PCs because the volunteers at the centre are familiar with PCs.

The PCs came with hard drives wiped clean and no original operating system install disks.  I loaded up a legacy copy of an operating system.  Next came the search online for the drivers for the mouse, keyboard, video, sound etc etc.  These drivers must match the brand of computer and the exact model.   With the help of a friend who teaches IT we eventually tracked down the drivers and installed them.  Then comes the add-ons such as a DVD/CD read/burn program and Video player.


It is all finished and awaiting collection tomorrow.  At 74, I won’t be doing that again.  I’ll stick to what I know....Macs.



1 comment:

Anonymous said...

WELL DONE KEV, I'M SURE THEY WILL MAKE A DIFFERENCE, YOU ARE SO MUCH LIKE YOUR DAD, ALWAYS THERE TO HELP OUT,MARG