Thursday, August 8, 2013

Who do you think you are?

A recent episode of “Who do you think you are?” on SBS TV was about a woman tracing her family back to the 1700s.    She has a Jewish background and I found it very interesting. 
Her family and indeed most of the Jews of Europe of the time, were persecuted by Christianity and Islam.   She began her search in Holland, which in the 18th century, was one of just a few nations that didn’t demand that Jews wore something to identify themselves.....  Shades of Nazi Germany in the 1940s
I don’t believe that either side of my family have Jewish roots, but I feel empathy with Israel.  History has treated Jews very badly and the state of Israel is not going to be dictated to by anyone.

Mel Brooks did a song and dance routine on ‘The Inquisition’ in his movie...History of The World Part 1.  

One verse........Hey,Torquemada, waddaya say?
                       I just got back from the Auto-da-fe´
                       Auto-da-fe´, what’s an Auto-da-fe´
                       It’s what you oughtn’t to do, but you do it anyway


1 comment:

Bernie said...

I love that show Who Do You Think You are, one of my favorites, xo